COVID Support - SEND Resources
We know that these are challenging times for everyone and we want to offer you and your child(ren) as much support as we can. Here are some strategies that you can use at home to support your child if they feel anxious or are not coping at any point during lockdown. Some of these may not work and that is okay- every child is different!
- Keep your child in a routine. It is really important to get them up and ready each morning, as they would for school. Structure and routine are good and mentally it gets us ready for the day ahead.
- If your child is feeling stressed with school work online then give them a break. It is okay to take a break from learning and it is okay not to complete all the work set.
- Break up the work into smaller chunks. You could use a visual cue or now and next board to show them what they have to do. You can create your own or there is an example on the school website.
- If they need it, use a timer to give them a clear start and finish time for each activity or lesson. You can use online timers, use as the one here – https://online-stopwatch.com/ or you can buy one online.
- If your child gets angry or upset, give them some space and allow them to go somewhere that they feel safe. Let them do something they enjoy that will calm them down. When they are ready to talk, remember sometimes just the power of listening is enough.
- Provide them with calming/sensory equipment. It can be as simple as a ball of blue-tack or can be more expensive, such as a sensory cube or tangle toy.
- If your child uses an overlay in school then you can download the Colorveil programme to support them whilst they are doing their online and it is free – https://www.aurelitec.com/colorveil/windows
- Make sure that they get some downtime to relax.
Please do not struggle alone. The SEN Team can be contacted via email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or on 01732833394.
Click on the documents below to access a range of resources that may support your child's learning at home.